Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital has WON? Not by a longshot .. .. yet
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 21:31:41 -0700

on 06/29/03 8:30 PM, Jim McIntyre at mcintyre@ca.inter.net wrote:

> The reason? All the scans for
> film based images are sent to his pre-press studio for scanning. The colour
> corrention is done there to the magazine's specs, and his production staff
> don't have to worry about it as much.. Those images that come in via digital
> have to be colour corrected, or at least examined to ensure consistency.

Jim,

The way we handle that is to tell photographers to send us their digital
images as close to "untouched" as possible. Especially no sharpening
whatsoever. But they shouldn't be color correcting much anyway. Any time an
images has been corrected, it can screw up our ability to get the highest
quality image as we correct for our presses. On the other hand, it depends
on the quality of the original. Sometimes we have to rely on the
photographer to get it in the ball park before sending it to us.

And it seems to me he should have the same people color correcting the
digital images as who color corrects the images from scanned film. That
would guarantee color consistency and take the burden off his staff.

Either way, there has to be some person who is makes the final decision on
when color correction is done - where I work, that's me - usually after
several generations of proofs. Preferably proofs made with the same system
that creates the plates for the presses .

I like to joke about my printer at work being a $1.5 million Heidelberg.
It's cool having a printer that can do 15,000 pages an hour!

(And no, I'm not talking about a beverage).

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

"The theory of a free press is that truth will emerge from free discussion,
not that it will be presented perfectly and instantly in any one account."

- -- Walter Lippmann

Replies: Reply from "Jim McIntyre" <mcintyre@ca.inter.net> (Re: [Leica] Digital has WON? Not by a longshot .. .. yet)