Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital has won....?
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 12:02:21 -0700

First off, thanks to Sonny, Tina, and Amilcar for the advice about setting
my Coolpix to minimize the blown-highlight blues.  I"ll try the low
contrast setting--I think I've turned off everything else that matters.

Tina:  To whet your appetite for your 10D, have a look here.  It compares
two shots of the same scene, tripod-mounted, one taken with a 10D, the
other with a an Olympus OM-something and a Zuiko 35-70mm f/3.6 (at f/8) on
Velvia.  The latter was both scanned at 4000 dpi and shot through a microscope.

http://www.accura.com.hk/Film-10D.htm

C.H. Ling of Hong Kong just posted this link on the Olympus list, where the
debate of film vs. digital is going strong.  Now punctuated by the
marketing salvo about the new Olympus E1.  Download the links *below* the
pictures, which are smaller center crops (600K and 2.4 megs) of the (huge)
main images.  Then magnify the Velvia scan and 10D shot up side-by-side in
your image editor.  Compare with the microscope shots, which show the
Velvia down to the film "grain."

I think that C.H.'s pictures show that 6 megapixels is more than good
enough for a lot of the "people pictures" we often take with the Leica, at
any reasonable print size.  You might want the 1Ds for not-quite
medium-format quality landscapes or huge prints (bigger than
16x20).  C.H.'s pictures also show that for the size that most of us print
at, 4000 dpi scanning gets all that is needed out of the film.  And
probably gets all there is out of the film at higher ISOs.  The slow slide
film is better on an absolute scale, but do we usually use or see all
that's there?

This of course presupposes that these 6 megapixels are *good*
pixels.  Sensor size, lens quality, lens-to-sensor match, dynamic range and
software all play a part.  One of the frustrations of a lot of the
consumer/prosumer digicams seem to be that they have higher noise and lower
dynamic range than the high-end stuff. And the software is set so a tourist
using fill-flash can print out snappy-looking 4x6 prints without further
adjustment.

Still, at the current state of the art, if you go digital you are giving up
dynamic range, lens speed (often), some depth-of-field control, lightness
and size of the camera (with Leica anyway) and a certain "look"--in
exchange for speed and convenience.  You are also giving up a way of
controlling the camera.  With a digicam, you can't "just do it."  You are
the operator of a very complex computer.  With an M7, the computer is
simple, it is your servant, and you can turn it off.  With an M6 and
earlier, you *are* the computer.  Leica people are going to notice this
difference more than auto-everything SLR people, but even the latter will
have many adjustments.

Remember Marshall McLuhan:  "The Medium is the Message."  Digital has its
own message, its own subtext.  In addition to being faster and more
convenient, it is *different*.  It looks different.  Sometimes smoother and
more "perfect."  Sometimes bordering on plastic.  No grain, but at the
limits, lines stairstep.  Film fails gracefully as you stretch its
capability to the limit.  Digital hits a certain point and then goes to
pieces all at once.  Hitting that limit for each medium looks different and
imparts a different emotional content to the picture.

And with all this, and despite the marketing juggernaut, I still say that
there are some places where the Leica M is superior.  Low-light candid
people photography is one.  Tina, I suspect you'll get more keepers with a
Noctilux, Neopan 1600 and manual RF focus.  And you'll have a prayer that
the people will act naturally.  :-)   I wonder what those incredible
Noctilux shots by inside a Guatemalan (?) family's hut would look like shot
digitally.  I'm thinking of the one with the kid and the candle, or the
mother and father holding the baby.

- --Peter