Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital has won....?
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 22:58:18 -0700

Just kidding, Steve!  Well, er...I hope it turns out to be a joke and that
we will have film for a long time to come.

However, there is a good argument for stock photographers to go digital.  A
successful stock business depends on an ever-growing collection of saleable
images.  The simple truth is that with a digital camera, you can be more
productive.  No scanning, no captioning with little sticky labels, no buying
film (running out of film is unlikely if you travel with a 60gb Powerbook
and a pocketable 80gb firewire drive), no trips to the lab, no scratched
film...need I go on?  It's just about enough to sacrifice that special Leica
look, don't you think?

On the other hand, with everyone going digital, the images that can be
produced by the Leica M cameras are aesthetically more different than ever
from the kinds of photos people will be accustomed to seeing.  I'm impressed
by what my new 10d can do, but a Leica M, it ain't.

- --Jim