Subject: RE: [Leica] OT: Bob Shell news
From: "Chandos Michael Brown" <cmbrow@wm.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:11:21 -0400

Again, excuse me, Gary, but my sole comment on this list regarding the
death of this poor girl was to express my regret over it.  I've spent my
entire professional life working with 19-21 year olds, and I am,
possibly, a little too aware of the ways in which they can screw up
their lives without the assistance of older folks, who should know
better.

I am haunted by Harvey Cushing's observation in his magisterial -Life of
Sir William Osler-.  Of the World War I dead memorialized in the Chapel
at Christ Church, Oxford (Osler's resting place as well), Cushing
remarked, they "were doubly dead for having died so young."

I spoke, though, to the defense strategy that Mr. Shell's attorney
posted to this list, and I questioned both the wisdom of that strategy
as he expressed it and the propriety of his posting it at all.

And this point of yours that I "underscored" was what, exactly?