Subject: Re: [Leica] R8/R9 Digital Back announced
From: "A. Lal" <alal@duke.poly.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:00:05 -0400

SNIP

> This is also one reason why Contax and Canon had to increase the size of
> their lense mounts, and why Nikon does not have a full frame sensor...and
> the new 14M Kodak camera does not perform well at all with wide angle
> lenses.

SNIP

In addition to increased diameter of the lens mount, the back focus is also longer on the newer systems, the Canon by  quite a bit.
This further reduces the obliquity of rays striking the film/sensor plane. I don't think the optical designers at either company
were thrilled by this change, howerver necessary it was.

The longer back focus is the reason why older lenses will not fit on th newer systems without an optical adapter.