Subject: Re: [Leica] R8/R9 Digital Back announced
From: Aaron Sandler <aaron.sandler@duke.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:29:14 -0400

At 10:12 PM 6/26/2003, : "Jim McIntyre" <mcintyre@ca.inter.net> wrote:
>If the M camera can mount an M lense, and focus on the film plane, then it
>seems logical that that same film plane can be a digital sensor. Am I in
>deep space on this?

 From what I've read, current digital sensors require the light rays to hit
them from an "angle of incidence" that is nearly perpendicular to the
sensor.  Film, on the other hand, can accept light hitting it at quite an
oblique angle.  Wide angle rangefinder lenses, being close to the film
plane, send much of the (outer portion of the) image to the film/sensor
from an oblique angle.  Therefore they work for film, but not with current
digital sensors.  SLR wide angle lenses (which are of retrofocal design,
meaning they have elements designed to bend the light rays back into being
mostly parallel with each other in order that the rays of interest still
all hit the film after travelling the additional distance to accommodate
the mirror) send all of their image to the film/sensor at a pretty-close-to
perpendicular angle of incidence.  Therefore they work for film and current
digital sensors.  Anyway, that's my understanding.

For this reason it seems folks are pretty down on the possibilities of
using M lenses with digital capture, at least without some kludgy
retrofocus add-on that would degrade image quality, make the system much
larger, and generally mess up most of the advantages of M lenses.  Recent
messages haven't actually used the word "impossible," but that's the
feeling that seems to be conveyed.

However, it seems to me that the inability of current sensors to capture
oblique light doesn't mean future sensors won't be able to.  Plenty of
"impossible" things have been accomplished.  Ok, so it might be another
decade until the right sensor is made...but I, for one, can wait.  I just
hope someone bothers to do it.

Replies: Reply from Aaron Sandler <aaron.sandler@duke.edu> (RE: [Leica] R8/R9 Digital Back announced)
Reply from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] R8/R9 Digital Back announced)