Subject: Re: [Leica] R8/R9 Digital Back announced
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 05:45:19 -0700

on 06/26/03 4:22 AM, Rick Dykstra at rdandcb@cybermac.com.au wrote:

> And have motor drive with both.  Thoughts?

Not likely. The mechanism to cock the shutter is probably much lighter and
doesn't need as much power as the one that moves film. But if it does, that
would be pretty tick. But on the other hand, I have a feeling anyone who
uses this camera at 10mp, if it's anywhere near as good as the Canon 1Ds
(something I won't believe until I see it) they will drop most film like a
hot potato.

I was a film fan and doubted digital would match it any time soon. But
having used a six mp camera for almost a year now, I have to say I can't
imagine film offering most people a compelling reason to put up with it's
down side (grain, lack of white balance, processing, expense).

Sure, if you like film and the process of working with it, that's great. The
qualities of the images will be different. But better or worse, not any
more.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

"The crux of the matter is whether the corporations are
playing by one set of rules -- rules that they
themselves set -- and the rest of us are playing by
rules that we've determined for dealing with each other
and not necessarily for non-human entities. The
corporations encourage that, of course, because the
asymmetry benefits them."

- --"Ethics Matters" columnist Carlton Vogt