Subject: [Leica] R8/R9 Digital Back announced
From: Ian Watts <i.watts@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:55:28 +0100

Phil Leeson wrote:

> I think there will be a certain number of users that rather
> like the idea of being able to use film for some shots and digital for
> others, with one system, especially those with a load of old Leica glass
> on hand!

I'm not sure I understand this point of view. If I want to use a mixture of
film and digital with a particular system I will want a digital body *and* a
film body. The last thing I want to do is fanny around swapping out the back
of one camera for another - especially when out in the field. Okay, I could
dedicate a body to the back. However, if I do that I lose the potential cost
savings of buying a separate digital back versus the cost of an integrated
digital body (assuming that part of Leica's rationale is that the back will
represent a lower cost of entry for R users into digital than would have
been a digital body). Given also that Leica still seem to have problems
marrying the R8/9 to a motor drive in a 100% reliable fashion, I cannot help
wonder whether Leica shouldn't just accept that the modular approach isn't
always the best approach and build the digital stuff into something like an
R8/9 shell and call it the RD.

Ian Watts