Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: leica digital
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:02:27 -0400

Hi Adam,

> On 2003-06-25 darkroom@ix.netcom.com (Austin Franklin)
> thoughtfully wrote:

I'd like to think of it that way ;-)

> >I don't believe there will every be a full frame "back" for the
> R8/9.  There
> >are physical limitations that make this not possible.
> >

> Could you explain for us what those are Austin? Does it have to
> do with the
> actual dimensions of the chip and its support circuitry?

The physical sensor is one issue, and it has to fit at A particular
spot...AT the film plane.  Not before, not after...  The sensors have a lot
in front of and around them, Bayer pattern color filters, anti-aliasing
filters and an IR filter.  This adds depth/thickness/width/height needed in
front of and around the sensor...and therefore the film gate has to be deep
enough, and wide/tall enough to support all this.

The reason a reduced size sensor works is it fits IN the film gate.  A full
frame sensor would most likely not.  I think there is money to be made by a
savvy sensor manufacturer who makes a sensor that maximizes the available
area within the film gate...but they all seem to fall "short".  The sensor
used in the R digital back is basically a half frame sensor!  It's only
17.6mm x 26.4mm...I believe.  It's 456 sq mm, and 35mm film provides 864 sq
mm.

Regards,

Austin

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: leica digital)