Subject: Re: Re: [Leica] Vertical Alignment Tool
From: Douglas Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:55:33 -0700 (PDT)

Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Doug
>
> Aren't neckstraps supposed to be around your neck, not hands?
>
> Jerry

I pick the camera up with my hands, not with my neck.  The strap gets caught on knobs, table corners, latches, sticks, tripods, other camera gear, water bottles, dirty dishes, and the occasional twinkie.  The other hand has already picked up other camera gear.  I can see it now, me bending down to the table (or rock, forest floor, wherever the camera is) to loop the strap around my neck, to pick the camera up.  Meanwhile the stuff dangling from my shoulder has slipped off and landed in a mud hole or swung around and smashed in to a boulder.

A strap on the shoulder is another issue: I can keep it from sliding off by either holding it with the opposite hand or by walking lopsided so its natural inclination is to slide toward my neck.  Don't try this with something on the opposite shoulder.

Besides, my main lenses are big enough that they have their own straps (detachable, fortunately) that would tangle with the camera's strap.  The lens' strap is worn bandolier-style, and is used only when I carry more than one camera.  If I'm carrying only one camera it's completly naked: no strap (and no UV filter).

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com