Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 with Drive is ripping the sprocket holes! ???
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 07:33:43 +1000

Endemic is probably a little strong, but let me see, of the 10 R8s I've
used (including my newest and problem free one), 4 have had drive or
winder interface problems.  Now if I consider that I'm counting number
one also as number four and number six after having been rebuilt twice
in Germany for other problems, that means that of eight bodies, four
have jammed with drive or winder attached, with the latest adding
sprocket tearing to its repertoire.  Of the other four, two never had a
motor attached, so remain latent suspects.  So, doing the maths, that
at least 50% and potentially 75%.  :-(

But look on  the bright side.  These are amongst the best bodies that
can be used with Leica R glass :-)  And, Leica has been very responsive
in fixing the problems and providing loaners and replacements (even
though they've tended to jam).  I bought one body and got the use of
eight!  Beat that.  And the ninth was a brand spanking new replacement
(which is the one now playing up).  Another silver lining is that with
digital backs, some of these probs will go away.

I've also learned a few things about R8 lock-ups that I should pass on.

1. If a motor causes the body to jam, possibly with the mirror stuck
up, it can usually be freed by removing the motor and giving the
advancing drive pickup on the bottom of the body (the one nearest the
battery holder) a tweak in the anti-clockwise direction (the direction
it should turn when advancing).  The insides click and the camera frees
up.  It may return to normal function, but may also continue to lock up.

2. I managed to free up my number nine body when it became
disfunctional, with mirror going up and staying up.  First, I removed
the film, then took off the back and tricked the camera to go through a
reloading cycle, by popping a canister with no film protruding into the
recess.  This way the DX contacts tell the camera, "I've got film!".
Then, with the camera switched on, I poked the camera back latch to
simulate the back being closed.  The body went through its three frame
wind on cycle and returned to 'normal' functioning.  This saved me from
having to immediately send it away.

I'm still trying to figure out how the camera detects that film has
been drawn out to the wind on mark, so that it should take up and wind
on the film.

Regards,  Rick.