Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 with Drive is ripping the sprocket holes! ???
From: Andrew Schroter <schroter@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 08:59:39 -0400

I've had problems with mirror lockup with a motor-drive equipped R8.  It's
been to Leica Northvale NJ twice already and it has started happening again.
Symptom is that when I use the camera for the first time after not being
used for a few weeks or so, the first picture will take but then the mirror
will stay locked up, some times for many minutes.  It'll be fine until I
pause for 5-10 minutes and then the lockup occurs again.  I guess I should
modify Kyle's quote and "keep clicking the shutter and the mirror will come
unstuck.
Regards,

AGS

> Just this weekend, I overheard a dealer saying that this problem is
endemic to the R8 plus
> the motordrive.  I was really perturbed hearing this after buying my R8
only about 6months
> ago.   I could have bought the R9 which he said is rid of all these
problems but i chose to
> go with supposedly old reliable R8 which I forsee to be nearing its age of
problem free
> functioning.
>
> I would like to hear more about registering for any pro servicing of my
equipment in Solm?
> I tap on wood, hope that my R8 does not start to sh.. itself.
>
> Has anybody else felt kinda iffy about their R8?
>
> Ruddy

I don't think there is any problem with the R8 itself, but there is some
issue with the motor or winder to camera interface. This has caused
quite a few people problems, including me. In my case the camera worked
perfectly until I added the winder. Then the rewind worked erratically
and there were some other oddities. A trip to N.J. cured the problem and
it hasn't recurred. But before sending in an R8 for service, I would
make absolutely certain that the contacts where the motor interfaces
with the body are clean and are making good electrical contact.

I also have an R9 with winder and haven't had a bit of trouble with it,
although it has only had about 50 rolls through it so far.

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014

Message from Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com> (Re: [Leica] R8 with Drive is ripping the sprocket holes! ???)