Subject: Re: [Leica] Film is Archival
From: Spencer Cheng <spencer@aotera.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 23:27:50 -0400

Hi Eric,

TIFF and JPEG (/JPEG-2000) maybe fine for 10-20 years but beyond that I
would be surprised. Proprietary formats (like Photoshop) has a very
indeterminate life time.

CD and DVD medium has limited shelf life as does film though B&W
emulsion has very good durability given decent conditions.

As for that little floppy, I threw out my 8" floppies dating from 1977
about 10 years ago since the drives to read them is not readily
available anymore and the computers that could read them hit the
garbage dump long before. I would be very surprised if you will be able
to buy a 3.5" floppy drive for a Mac in 10 years.

Note that my basic question is not fundamentally a technical one. The
basic question is how to "select" images that will be treated to last
50 years? I can't. Can anyone? Now if one don't care, than any
digital/analog medium will do.  :-)

Regards
Spencer

Replies: Reply from Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> (Re: [Leica] Film is Archival)