Subject: Re: [Leica] Film is Archival
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 17:46:14 -0700

on 06/21/03 5:19 PM, Spencer Cheng at spencer@aotera.org wrote:

> So, BD, would the digital images being shot today by a local
> photographer in Papua New Guinea be viewable by anyone in 2043?

Considering the universality of TIF and jpeg images, that answer is, very
much yes. As long as they are on some kind of readable format. And with the
billions of CDs and DVDs out there, there is likely going to be some
mechanism to read them for some time to come. At least for our lifetimes.

Just look how that worthless little floppy disk still seems to be appearing
on PCs. (Macs dumped them in '99, but you can buy a drive for $65). Kind of
like our appendix. Not terribly useful, but still available.

- --
Eric
Carlsbad, CA

"The ropes are heaved, down come the statues.  .  .  .  They're dragging
Sejanus along by a hook in public.  Everyone cheers, `Just look at that ugly
face.'  `Believe me I never cared for that fellow.'  `But .  .  .  (w)ho
brought the charges, who gave the evidence?  How did they prove him guilty?'
`Nothing like that: a letter arrived from (the emperor Tiberius) at Capri.'
`Fair enough: you need say no more.'  " (Juvenal)

Replies: Reply from D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg> (Re: [Leica] Film is Archival)