Subject: RE: [Leica] Film is Archival
From: "Felix Lopez de Maturana" <fmaturana@euskalnet.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 21:11:50 +0200

>Whatever else, at least at the present, film is the archival medium.
You
>cannot put your CD or DVD away for 75 years, not tend to it much, and
>expect
>that it will be easy to use at that time. Standards will change, get
much
>much better, and legacy equipment is likely to become scarcer. Film and
>prints sit there in the cool, dry, dark and don't do much. For my
purposes,
>which is developing an archive of images, film (Kodachrome) is still
the
>preferred way.

I know I'm not a standard guy, but at home I listen music from 78 rpm
gramophone with his big and nice brass horn, old vinyl from a
extraordinary Linn Sondek, cassettes from a Revox, digital audio tapes,
CD from a Denon 2200, and recently computer and DVD. If necessary I can
ask my brother for his, authentic, Edison cylinder sound
machine...Concerning informatics affair I have old disk readers 5 1/4 "
and, of course all the modern stuff including DVD writers. I'm already
stealthy recording live sound opera with a portable hard disk
"something" in the theatre.

So I know I'll be not here in, say thirty years, but some in my family,
my grandsons probably, will be able to see the pictures I'm recording in
DVDs...Anyway I'm not too worried about it. I use to say that after
passing everything that my relatives do not wish for them may be piled
in a pyre and put in fire (if they do prefer with me in the top of the
pyre).

Kind regards

Felix

PS My relatives in, lets say 200 years, will use stone axes again...