Subject: RE: [Leica] HCB Did It All First Redux
From: Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 21:28:16 -0600

> > "Kertesz took the first great 35 mm photographs. "We owe him so
> much," said
> > Cartier Bresson."
>
> I read that quote years ago and have been searching for it since! I
> corrected a renowned photojournalism historian once and she asked
> me for the
> reference. I NEED that reference! Please, tell me where you got
> it. PLEASE!
> :-)

I think it was from an old book I had on Kertesz that I don't have any more
(or may be in my parents attic in England!... and can't remember exactly
what it was called) - I noted it down in an old notebook - just the quote.

There is a similar version purportedly from HCB referring to Magnum as a
whole, along the lines of "Whatever we did, Kertesz did it first"

sorry Eric

tim