Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica's sensor set up for Digital Back
From: =?ISO-8859-15?Q?G=FCnter_Haika?= <foto-haika@gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 01:03:30 +0200

Hi Austin,

if I remember right, the reason they gave for calling the ixpress a
"camera" at their show (I never said they did on their web page, so I
was not wrong!) was that with any film camera, the camera is given, and
film or film back is the variable. But their "camera", the ixpress, is
permanent, and the box you attach becomes the variable. Also, their
"camera" dictates image size - a 6x6 box becomes a 4x4 camera due to the
chip size. (Maybe the nomenclature is also based on the price: my
Hasselblad 503cx is worth peanuts compared to what they ask for the
ixpress 384)
I guess we must remember that lenses are out of the equation anyway,
since they have nothing to do with the idea of the original "camera"
(obscura), they are only optical refinement (and also a variable).

Whatever we or they call it: I wish Leica had a sensor like the ixpress
for the M.... (just dreaming)

Günter

- --
Günter Haika