Subject: RE: [Leica] Latest from "Deep Throat" Leica - Digital Back Specs
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 14:06:57 -0700

On 2003-06-19 bdcolen@earthlink.net (bdcolen) thoughtfully wrote:

>1. A 10 mpg manual focus digital camera that costs $6000 new, or $5000
>with a used body.

Ummm...why the emphasis on manual focus? Would you rather mediocre auto
focus? Slow autofocus? YOU can't focus?

>2. A 10 mgp digital manual focus camera that is not only not designed
to be a digital camera, it is a Rube Goldberg contraption.

You don't know this. You can't unless you have seen it. It MAY be Rube
Goldberg-ish. I hope you report better than this.

>3. A 10 mgp digital camera that will come out, at best, a year to 18
>months from now, by which time the standard - for those of you who
>eschew anything but the finest conceivable image quality - will be at
>least 15, if not 20 mgp.

Of course the engineering/development deals with form factor and sensor
and software. It would seem to me to be reasonable to adapt the sensor
within the moving time of the release. It will be something the Leica
will have to learn to deal with.

>4. A 10 mgp digital camera 12-18 months from now that does NOT have a
>full-size sensor - and weren't a good number of you explaining to me
>recently why anything less than a full-size sensor would spell Nikon's
>demise?

It does preserve one's investment in glass, a non-trivial issue.

>5. A camera LUGers will be lining up to buy, using, and pronouncing it
>to be producing the best images they have ever seen.

Well OF COURSE. Sheesh!

Well you get 1.5 out of 5 right.

Actually, should this be a real product, it'll be interesting to see how
Leica comes to grips with it.

I'd still rather have my M lenses used in a form-factor close to the
current M. In a few years, perhaps, we'll be able to get everything out
of that glass and into a digital sensor. So I can get the best of both
worlds: film or digital with the same lenses.

Adam