Subject: [Leica] Digital usage
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 23:18:55 -0400

The major photo retailers are working their a------ off to make getting
pictures from digital cameras easy.  Why?  Roll counts are dropping by
double digit percentages and if they can not replace lost business in
developing film with making pictures from digital files then they are dead
meat.  It is no secret in the industry that the profits were in film(and
paper and chemistry) for the manufacturers and in processing film and making
prints for the shops.

Sometime in July you will be able to e-mail your digital files to major
retailers and pick up your pictures within four hours at literally your
choice of hundreds of locations.  Polaroid has a neat little kiosk that can
make 24 prints from your digital file in a couple of minutes.  You can find
someone's kiosk just about everywhere to make prints from your digital
files.

Don't delude yourself that film will be around for a long time.  Right now
more than 90% of all cameras sold in the US are digital, excluding
disposables.  I suspect that next year sometime you will start to notice
that film is not at the check out line of your local grocery, and that the
giant warehouse stores have moved a smaller selection of film to the back
corner somewhere.  I think that sometime next year you will see the one hour
labs start to disappear from drug stores as the roll counts drop so far that
they can not afford the square footage to a loss leader.  We have in fact
reached the critical trifecta of good enough quality, availability of output
options, and marketing buzz where film is a walking dead product.  Yes, we
all will still be able to buy film, but just like buggy whips, way out of
the way or mail order.

To keep this on topic, Leica as a niche player with a fairly loyal customer
base,  will survive in some shape or another just as you can still buy a
buggy for your horse to pull.  However, if they can not develop or rebadge a
digital highish end product then we will all seem to be collectors of Colt
revolvers: still potent devices but largely irrelevant to anyone outside the
club.

This time 0.05

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com