Subject: Re: [Leica] Kodak stock is down(way down!) this morning.
From: "Steve LeHuray" <steve@streetphoto.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:05:34 -0400

> I don't know if film is "outta here," but I find it both fascinating and
> telling that Kodak is advertising a disposable film camera on t.v. in a
> commercial telling people that they can use it to get "digital
> pictures." And ads for the camera stress that it produces high quality
> digital images.
>
> B. D.

...I seriously doubt that film is "outta here." Kodak has always had a
history of joining in with new technologies. Certainly they are deeply
committed to film as it is their core business but they are smart to explore
digital. I remember 20+ years ago all the howls from the motion picture film
folks as Kodak started to sell VHS video tape (they only sold somebody
else's tape under the Kodak logo). While digital is all the talk it is
interesting to see (on the various lists I subscribe to) the number of
people who have switched over to digital, and then see many of them announce
they are moving back to film. Someday it will be a completely digital world,
but not in my lifetime.

sl