Subject: Re: [Leica] Wedding Photography Questions
From: "lea" <lea@whinydogpress.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:48:41 -0500

I've been doing weddings using the Kodak Portra line for a couple years now.
I use their 400 and 800 and am very happy with them. I tested the Fuji line
of films but found them to be poor in rendering purples so opted for Kodak
instead. I would encourage you to shoot pro film, not consumer grade; you'll
pay more but you'll be able to see the difference.

The best hint I can give you is to get as much time alone with the bride and
groom as you can. I always try to work with them before the wedding (this
breaks a tradition of not seeing each other before the ceremony...some will
go for it, some won't budge) as they have a nervous, excited energy that I
really love to see. Experience is showing me that while group shots are
important (with parents, with siblings, g-parents, aunt and uncles...) the
best sellers are images of  the bride and groom alone with each other so
shoot LOTS of those in every pose you can think of.

Details are also important:
back of bride's dress
grooms boutineer
brides flowers
rings
bride's hair
shoes
cake
toasting glasses
special music
special instruments (just did a wedding in which a bagpipe figured
prominently)
any children close to the couple

Mostly, be comfortable with your equipment, and just keep your eyes open. If
you see something that strikes you, shoot it. I'm always tickled when a
bride and groom pick up their proofs and say, "Oh my gosh, I'm so glad you
got a shot of ------------- we were so busy/frantic/nervous we didn't notice
it."

Lea