Subject: Re: [Leica] leica as art object
From: liz boeder <lizlizliz@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 18:30:05 -0700

It is with the utmost reverence and respect that I paint these cameras.
When I gently, carefully remove disintegrating vulcanite and crusty
adhesive, I hope that through the process I am giving a loving tribute
to the greatness these cameras embody. Perhaps it will interest you to
know that I start with the Leicas very few people seem to want or place
much monetary value on, the ones which have peeling vulcanite, sticky
shutters, speeds which are off, or in one case, have been submerged for
some time! (That one ended up as my personal IIIA, and I cherish it) I
have each one CLAd by a local Leica expert, and send them off into the
world ready to make more beauty.
I do understand the sacrilege standpoint. But I subscribe to the theory
that Leicas are meant to be shot, and racecars are meant to be driven.
I'm not much of a collector (although I have a small collection of
cameras), I am an enjoyer of beautiful things, and for me, that means
using them in the manner in which they were intended.
I fully allow that others will disagree, some vociferously. 'Sokay, I'm
a big girl.

- -Liz
www.lizlizliz.com

Replies: Reply from tripspud <tripspud@transbay.net> ([Leica] Question about a Canon IVSB...)