Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Nikon Digital SLR's
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 08:28:07 -0700

on 06/15/03 6:55 AM, Frank Filippone at red735i@earthlink.net wrote:

> One would ask why a photojoournalist needs an 11 meg file for the newspaper?
> Yes, for some books, etc the resoliution may be nice to have, but the bulk
> of the market is news, and if they had 1 Meg files, it would be big enough!
> Is this an emulation of film quality for my daily read?

Sorry Frank, but that has always been a misunderstanding of how
photojournalists work, or what is needed for pre-press.

First if all, an 11 megapixel camera does not produce 11 meg files. They are
much bigger when open in Photoshop. Not sure how big off the top of my head,
but the Canon D60, which is 6.1 or 6.2 megapixels produces an 18 meg jpeg
file at the highest resolution in 8-bit color. That's because the photos
start at 24 bit, or 8 bits each for the three colors. The software converts
it into the larger size as it comes out of the camera. (Rumor has it that
Photoshop 8 will run mostly in 16 bit color, doubling file sizes.)

Second of all, it is a rare shot that a newspaper uses full frame. Often the
cropping is quite severe. At a minimum, I need 3 meg files for any picture
I'd put in a paper, after cropping. When you run a big one, you need much
more information. And newspaper reproduction has gotten much better as well
as what they've needed in the past.

And I know, I've heard all the math about minimum sizes, but that's not what
my experience tells me I need. I never want to be faced with dealing with
minimums.

That being said, I publish on much higher quality paper than newsprint now.
We use a very high-quality sheet-fed press that's only about 18 months old.
It uses all the latest technologies and the quality we get out of it is
simply amazing. Our texts have actually been taken to the U.S. Congress to
show what kind of quality can be found in distance-education material.
(Though we have schools In seven countries as well as have thousands of
distance education students).

And I can tell you, the minimal thinking of the people who produced our
textbooks even just six years ago has become a nightmare for us now. The
quality just isn't up to snuff, though they thought at the time nobody would
ever run a photo bigger than two columns. Their first mistake was hiring
REAL photo editors. :-) We've changed the whole landscape!

Our photos don't run that big. Rarely bigger than 9 inches on the long side.
And we're quite comfortable with photos in the 8-15 meg size. So the Canon
EOS D60 we use now is more than adequate for our needs.

In fact, it's pretty much convinced me that film no longer has an edge over
digital. I know that's 180 degrees to what I was saying a couple years ago
when I was last active in the LUG. But then I'd never seen a digital camera
that could match film, and exceed it in many ways, as the D60 back then. Or
spent enough time with the may qualities of digital that are clearly
superior to film. (i.e. White balance, speed, etc.)

- --
Eric
Carlsbad, CA

"The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with."
- -Marty Feldman

Replies: Reply from "Jim McIntyre" <mcintyre@ca.inter.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Nikon Digital SLR's)