Subject: [Leica] Sally Mann
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 21:09:35 -0400

At 05:59 PM 6/14/03 -0400, bdcolen wrote:
>I happen to believe that Sally Mann's photos
>of her children are in the later category - and I consider her public
>exhibiting of, and publication of those photos to be extremely
>exploitive.

BD

I worked through college for Betty Munger Mann, the "Dragon Lady" or
"Madame X", at the Washington & Lee University Bookstore.  I've known Sally
since she was a teen-ager.  I know her husband, Larry Mann, as well, as he
was a class or two ahead of me at the University and we have, on rare
occasions, cases together, the both of us being attorneys.

Sally is a "shock" artist.  She seems to adhere to the viewpoint that true
art must cause us to raise our hackles.  I can tell you tales about her
dealings with the populace of the City of Lexington, VA, and the demands
she made upon its good taste!  And then there is the problem over the
ownership of the Miley plates which, rather mysteriously, were left to
Washington & Lee but, a year later, appeared in her ownersnip without any
known payment ...

Sally is hardly my favorite photographer.  She is a killer dark-room tech
but her own pictures are, well, either shocking in content or are simply
insipid.

She is very nice, of course, in person, though she appears to be quite
shallow.

Marc

msmall@infionlinei.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!