Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Nikon Digital SLR's
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 08:31:05 -0400

This thread is really becoming quite amusing, because it is degenerating
into such a classic "mine is bigger than yours."

The question for Nikon, Leica, or any other manufacturer, is what makes
sense for their customer base, not "how to we market the 'biggest one.'"
Nikon's customer pro base is photo journalists, who neither need, nor,
in most cases want a full-frame digital SLR. What is important is the
quality of the image produced within other realistic constraints -
battery life, capture speed, ease of feature use, durability of
equipment, ability to use lenses across different bodies. Sure, Nikon
may some day go to full-frame. But for now, from what I've been told,
Gary, and from what you have been told, Chris, they aren't planning to
do so.

That does NOT mean that Nikon has given up the ghost, left the field to
Canon; it simply means they have adopted a different strategy for waging
the digital wars. Is it the right strategy? I have no idea - nor for
that matter do I care in any real sense.

The real question here, in terms of this thread anyway, is why some
people have the notion that a sensor has to be a certain size to produce
quality images - look at the astounding improvement in image quality
over the past several years, all coming from sensors that are less than
35 mm size.

Anyway, am I not right, Gary, in recalling you write that you neither
own or use Nikon equipment? If I am, I have to ask why you give a rat's
behind about what Nikon does or doesn't do? ;-)

B. D.

Replies: Reply from "David W. Almy" <dalmy@comcast.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Nikon Digital SLR's)
Reply from "Gary Williams" <nasmformyzombie@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Nikon Digital SLR's)
Reply from "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Nikon Digital SLR's)