Subject: RE: Nikon....was Re: [Leica] New Nikon Lens Mount Olympus 4/3 System D SLR
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 07:52:27 -0400

All of what you've written, Gary, depends upon your definition of
"competitive."

The average digital camera buyer - for that matter most serious Ams
- -is/are NOT going to buy a $7K, $5K, or even $3K digital SLR - he or she
is going to buy a p&s to capture 4x6s of the kids. So that means we're
talking about the pro market.

For the needs of most newspaper/magazine shooters a full-frame digital
isn't necessary. In fact, the whole full-frame discussion is a bit
silly: What is "full frame?" Full-frame compared to what? A 4x5 is not
full-frame compared to an 8x10; a 2 1/4 is not full-frame compared to a
4x5; a 645 is not full-frame compared to a 2 1/4; and, of course, a 35
mm is not full-frame compared to a 2 1/4. The important element, in
terms of the image, is not the size of the sensor, but the quality of
the output the particular sensor makes possible - and the quality needs
of the shooter.

As to pro quality needs - that depends upon who or what the pro is
shooting for. As many members of this list have said, they are getting
excellent quality - for enlargement at least up to 11x14, from the
current crop of less than full-frame DSLRs and even high-end P&S. One
can argue about the quality, but what matters is not what you, the
observer think, but what the user - and if the user is a pro, the user's
customer - thinks.

The Canon D100 does not have a full-frame sensor, yet it produces really
stunning results. (And the results of the other $1500-$2200 pro and
prosumer cameras are pretty damn good.) "As good as film?" No, not for
examination under a loupe. But then who walks around with a loupe
dangling from their neck. Look at a print; look at an image in a
newspaper, magazine, or book - that's how we see photographs, what ever
they've been captured with.

Do Nikon, Olympus, or does Leica, for that matter, need to have full
full-frame sensors to compete and survive with Canon and it's Eos1Ds?
No. What they need to have are digital cameras which produce results
that meet the expectation of their prospective buyers.

Frankly, that probably means that Leica will never produce a digital
that meets the expectations of its buyers - because its buyers
expectations, honed by the results obtained with iso 25 film and
aspherical lenses, are so damn high. ;-) (But then what percentage of
the camera market is occupied by Hermes - ooops, Leica. :-) )

B. D.