Subject: Nikon....was Re: [Leica] New Nikon Lens Mount Olympus 4/3 System D SLR
From: "Gary Williams" <nasmformyzombie@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 23:54:29 -0400

> Subject: Re: Re: [Leica] New Nikon Lens Mount
>
> Why would Nikon, a company that is ailing financially and said to be for
> sale at a fire-sale price with no takers invest in a new lens mount
> particularly when the have not yet finished taking a beating on the
> investment into APS cameras...

> Perhaps there will be a modification to the existing mount like AI to
> AIs or "D" or some other added feature...
>
> a whole new mount makes very little economic sense...
>
> A new non F mount would be the straw that broke Nikon's back the final
> push to the EOS camp...

I am no fan of Nikon never having owned or used any of it (Leica and Contax
only), but the only thing Nikon can do to try to be competitive is to
release a full frame based digital SLR.  Apparently, utilizing the existing
mount will not work.  Contrary to other postings, I believe that the new
mount is the only thing that makes sense if Nikon wishes to survive.

In an time of unprecedented upheaval in the photo game, only Canon seems to
have positioned itself reasonably well for digital SLR.  All the others are
scrambling to keep up, including the former leader of the pack, Nikon.  As
someone who has been shooting and following the business for 25 years, it's
almost unbelievable to see Nikon getting creamed like this.

Gary