Subject: Re: [Leica] other users happy with the 21-35 vario?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 20:45:24 -0700

eric korenman asked:

> Didn't know there WAS a 21-35mm vario.
> Other users happy with it? Other than $$$ and f4.0, any downsides?
> What is average used price?
>
> I had a 24mm elmarit for a time - Although I loved the results, it was a
bit
> much for for every shot.
> The 21-35mm seems like a fantastic working range.<<<

Hi Eric,
Yep it's a great lens and the 21-35 range is a good working range and
companion to the 35-70 and 80-200. I use all three on many of my
assignments, primarily outdoor shoots due to the f 3.5 on the 35-70 and f4.0
on the 80-200, 21-35.

I don't find the f 4.0 a problem, obviously not out doors, but it is a bit
of a bind shooting indoors. But if I have to, I use Neopan 1600, souped in
XTOL 1:1 and it works just fine. Actually I've pushed it to 3200 a few times
and managed to get away with it.

Actually this Saturday and Sunday I'll be using all three of these lenses
shooting rowing championships here in Victoria on Elk Lake. I have no fear
of failure from the glass, but more from the possibility of rain. :-(

The 21-35 is a fine lens and if you haven't tried one see if you can get a
loaner / rental and give it a try with a few rolls and you'll be committed
to purchase.:-)
ted