Subject: [Leica] DR Summicron Issue
From: "Gary Williams" <nasmformyzombie@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 20:05:45 -0400

Last week I sold a beautiful DR lens with eyes to a guy in Japan.  I checked
the lens thoroughly before shipment.  I told him the only issue with the
lens is that the focus is smooth, consistent, not stiff but not "buttery
smooth."  He claims there is a mechanical problem with the DR and describes
it this way:

"In closed mode, the distance adjusting ring can NOT be rotated and in
Lock-up."

Knowing that the lens is supposed to lock with the eyes in place, I ask for
more details including a suggestion that he remove the eyes and he responds,

"In closed mode, the distance adjusting can NOT be rotated both without eyes
and with eyes."

Is this mechanically possible?  He bought the lens with a clear
understanding that the focus is good, but not silky smooth.  I think he is
having second thoughts about his purchase.  I offer a refund---gladly---if
the lens is not as described.  The rude tone of his emails suggests he is
young and/or inexperienced with this gear.   He does not even wait for a
response from me before he sends another email minutes later.  One time he
says he will never accept this lens, the next time he increases his repair
estimate with an email send only a few minutes later.  I am not at all
convinced he even knows how to use the lens.

Can the DR lock up as he describes?   I have an email in to Sherry Krauter,
but the way this buyer is chomping at the bit, he may blow a head gasket
before I hear back from her.  :-)

Gary

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] DR Summicron Issue)
Reply from Vick Ko <vick.ko@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] DR Summicron Issue)