Subject: RE: [Leica] Three "real" B.D.s
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 10:39:29 -0400

Thanks, Ted - God knows we can all use tweaking, slight or not.

1. I don't disagree with you in terms of losing the baby's eyes - It
would be a stronger image, but the way it's composed makes it far more
appealing to the Mom, who was the "client."

2. You, of course, caught something here I was struggling with, which
was to get the kid's attention...When I shot this one, I was making
animal noises and shaking the baby's cloth puppy on top of my head...the
difficulty was to keep the Mom from cracking up...

3. All day meeting of the faculty of the Graduate Program in Science
Writing - same seats all day; using M6 to entertain myself. In other
words, a grab shot...The funny thing is this subject has always hated
all photos taken of her - and she doesn't love this one, which is very
complimentary, but prefers a far more serious side few I shot - because
her hands are beneath her chin, making it look less - chin-like. Which
is a reminder once again that what the photographer, or other
photographers like for photographic reasons is often irrelevant when it
comes to the subject making pics. (Which is why I usually work by making
the picks for the client, rather than giving the client contacts. ;-)

The baby stuff comes from three rolls of 35 and one of 2.25 shot in
about 30 minutes in the NYC PR office...Mom is wife of one of the
partners, wanted pics of herself and kid for father's day gift for my
boss. In she came, I had to work with what I had to work with...

Anyway...thanks for the very constructive comments...

B. D.