Subject: Re: [Leica] No used 75 Summilux?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 18:28:02 -0700

bdcolen said:
>>> You probably are not seeing it used because it is a fabulous, but -
> compared to, say, the 35 Summicron - a relatively 'rare' lens, which
> means that when people buy them, they tend to fall in love with them <<<

Hi B.D.,
I had one not long after it came out and took it to Russia on an assignment
about the Chernobyl Children after the nuclear power plant disaster.

Unfortunately..... it became the nightmare of the worst kind for any
photographer as the frame lines in my M6 were consistently confused, well OK
my confusion with the 50mm framelines,  and many, many, and I could cry how
many pictures were spoiled because .... I cut heads and parts off!  Why?

Well I took a new piece of gear on a shoot that I hadn't properly worked
with before I left! :-(

Totally all my fault and not the lens, as those that worked were absolutely
incredibly sharply cut images on film.

However, when I returned home it was sold faster than you could spit becaue
I didn't trust the viewfinder nor the lens after such a horrible expereince
and went back to using my 90 Summicron which I'd used for many years.

Of course not realistic, as it wasn't the lens fault. But once you have a
bug in your ear about a piece of equipment it's pretty tough shaking it off.
And although I 've seen many examples of excellent slides and negatives with
a 75mm 1.4 I just can't get by it as a lens I'd use again, unless the
viewfinder were changed to show the 75 as a clean framed outline.

ted