Subject: RE: [Leica] Use film, or block the panel - examples as requested
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 15:40:48 -0400

Tim,

> > I see why, the viewfinder is deficient in that camera, as it is in most
> > consumer digicams (cameras that use interline sensors).  This
> is a due to
> > simply a lower grade camera viewfinder, not because LCD viewing
> is better
> > than viewfinder viewing as a general statement, or somehow the
> > LCD lets you
> > "see more" or for some other "mystical" reason...it's just these cameras
> > have bad viewfinders.
> >
> > A good optical viewfinder outweighs an LCD viewfinder any day, at least
> > today...the LCD doesn't have the tonality or resolution or ability to do
> > critical focus as a regular viewfinder (say in a typical SLR)
> does, it is
> > also subject to smear and bloom in mixed or high lighting
> > situations.  That
> > certainly doesn't mean you can't get a decent shot out of a camera when
> > using an LCD, but it really is only usable for P&S, and they
> > typically only
> > exist on P&S cameras (that is ones that can view on the LCD in
> real time).
> >

> Oh dear, poor Austiin, you just don't get it..... it has
> absolutley nothing
> to do with quality.

Oh, Tim, I most certainly do get it, and I'd say it's you who doesn't.  It
has everything to do with usability, and sometimes, in order to be usable,
quality IS an issue.  Because some little P&S digicam has a lousy optical
viewfinder, as most in fact do, and the LCD is more "usable", that doesn't
say that in general LCD viewing gives you better this or that than a
viewfinder...it says the viewfinder in that camera is deficient, and that
the LCD is more usable.

Austin

Replies: Reply from "Geir Bugge-Olsen" <gbugge-o@frisurf.no> ([Leica] R 3)