Subject: Re: [Leica] Use film, or block the panel!
From: Johnny Deadman <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 14:05:28 -0400

The comparison between LCDs and ground glass is an interesting one. The
pictures I take with the LCD are substantially more like my LF pictures
than my 35mm pix, but they have a freedom I have never been able to
achieve in LF (I've seen some of Tim's LF pix and he is a lot looser
than I ever was). There is also a slightly alienated quality to
shooting something using the LCD which is quite difficult to replicate
when using a direct-vision viewfinder, although I am getting better at
it. The first picture I took which made me realize there was something
special about shooting digital via the LCD was this one:

	http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/paw/pages/week5.html

I had photographed this spot using the 4x5 camera several times, with
pitifully poor results. One day just after I bought the CP5000 I had it
in my cycle pannier as I was cycling to work, and as I passed through
this spot, I thought to myself, damn, that's the picture. I pulled out
the digi and framed it on the LCD (it was bright so I could hardly see)
and when I got to work, uploaded it, and there it was. I can't tell you
how many sheets of 4x5 I wasted trying to do the same thing.

There is something close to Eggleston's idea of 'shotgun photography'
in using a digi with the LCD (for those who don't know, W Eggleston at
some point gave up looking through the viewfinder and called the
resulting photographs 'shotgun photos' -- in that they were aimed by
instinct like a shotgun rather than by eye like a rifle and scope).
What you discover is that sometimes when you loosen your grip on the
compositional aspects of the photographic game, rather than the
compositions becoming weaker, they become stronger, more complex, more
confounding and confrontational, more troubling even. It certainly
makes you look through a viewfinder differently afterwards.