Subject: RE: [Leica] Use film, or block the panel!
From: Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 17:54:09 -0600

> > well, action and sports is one thing... but the LCD panel on my little
> > Nikon 5000 is a wonderful thing and gets you experimenting with
> > compositions you would never have seen through a viewfinder.
>
> Johnny...if it's not visible in the viewfinder, how is it visible on the
> LCD?
>
> Austin

He didn't say it wasn't visible, rather you would never have seen the
composition. It's like a mini ground glass (only right way up). The screen
gives you a different image than the viewfinder - two dimensional rather
than three. And psychologically different than the "tunnel" vision on an SLR
(in fact rangefinders also have the tunnel vision effect).

Shooting 4x5 and 8x10, quite often the composition only comes together on
the ground glass - even though I might use a viewfinder or frame as a
viewing aid.

At a guess, I'm pretty sure it's something along these lines. I wonder if
you can programme a digicam to show the screen view upside down... that
might be more useful

On an interesting point, the people who made the replacement bellows for my
Deardorff, and who have been making camera bellows for 80 years or something
have now branched out into new old technology - little bellows viewing hoods
for dig cams - just like a mini speed graphic or Toyo Field

tim