Subject: Re: [Leica] Non-Leica PAW week 8--sensual portrait
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 19:37:13 EDT

In a message dated 5/30/03 1:01:54 PM, graham@geebeespaw.freeserve.co.uk
writes:

<< > of gear......

> Still catching up on

> PAWS:

> Week 8-- Non-Leica---  Sensual Portrait--

> http://www.vonseidl.net/patchouli/KMVSPAWweek8.html

> Week7--Leica/ Noctilux---semi-nude

> http://www.vonseidl.net/patchouli/KMVSPAWweek7.html

> Week6--Non-Leica--Fetish for Apples

> http://www.vonseidl.net/patchouli/KMVSPAWweek6.html

> General Paw Index

> http://www.vonseidl.net/patchouli/KMVSPAW.html

> Feel free to post or email me any questions or comments.  Thanks for

looking.

> Kim

Hi Kim,

I find the photographs in this trio a mixed bag.

Week 6: I am not keen on the look obtained with cross processing but I have

to admire the will to experiment. The apple on the head I don't really

understand, do Tell :-)

Week 7: I'll be honest here, I find it difficult to give full attention to

anything else in a photograph that has a naked woman in it. If the intent

was to give prominence to the hands, rings and knees it would have worked

better for me if they had been isolated with cropping rather than

differential focus. Initially my eyeballs were in anti bokeh mode on the

nudity rather than looking at the obvious focus of the picture.

Week 8 : The best of the three in my opinion. A beautiful subject well posed

and well shot. Sensual indeed.

- --Graham >>

Hi Graham,

Thank you very much for taking the time to critique my work.

#6 is admittedly experimental....and as pretty unsuccessful  in many ways.
The idea was to try and visually (without overtly) tie in the alluring
temptation of both the apple and the woman's lips.  I shot it intentionally trying to
blowout a lot of her features (by lighting and exposure) so that mainly her
eyes, the apple and her matching lips were the focus of the shots.  She offers
the apple (temptation) to the viewer and when not successful is left with the
final shot.  I chose cross-processed because the context is quasi gothic/fetish
and I didn't want the coloration to be realistic.  That was the theory behind
the attempt in those specific shots.

Week 7 the intent was this....I wanted to do a nude portrait.  Meaning I've
done other nudes where you could see (at least somewhat more clearly) the
woman's body and the point of those shots were to explore form or to arouse purient
interest.  I didn't want to do that in this shot because I wanted this to be
more a portrait on some level, mainly symbolic.  In particular, the rings were
very significant to this woman, they were given to her by her mother, who she
has a very close relationship with.  BUT, I also wanted to convey that this
was a woman, and I wanted to offer the full sensuality of her curves and
fleshiness without it reading sexuality.  So I posed her and chose an aperture that
one can see enough of her nudity, and feel the sensuality of her flesh,
without it being "sexual."  I wanted the body to be soft, sensual and almost dreamy,
the rings clear.   I suspect that how men and women view the shot might be
different?  I don't know.

#8--was a straight up shot.  A lot of what I've featured on PAW's so far is
kinda....out there I guess.  And so I just wanted to demonstrate that my choice
of cross processing, infrared, selective focus and lighting are intentional
(and though they might not be successful) they aren't the result of mistakes.

Anyway, thank you again for your feedback.  I appreciate it.

Kim