Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Wide zooms
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 22:46:00 -0700

bdcolen wrote:

> Using both the Nikon 17-35 2.8 and Leica M 21 ASPH, I'll say that
> there's no doubt there is less distortion with the M lens than there is
> with the Nikon at 20-21 mm. That said, the Nikon does quite well.
>
> B. D.

I heard yesterday and don't doubt the Nikon 20 does a bit better at 20
than their latest zoom in perspective but the zoom is just as sharp if
not sharper a concept I'm happy about but used to find infuriatingly heretical..
They say use the 20 fixed for architectural. (which sells for chump change)
I'd rather use my 21 Elmarit Asph for the job but would pine for a
Schneider 3.5 in all it's compactness.

If they can make the superwide with the 38 Biogon for brownie film...
why cant they make a 35mm camera a life support system for a non
retrofocus superwide lens. A 21 is OK the Biogon i think translates to a 24!

I guess they tried it one with the Hologon 15 camera.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] RE: Wide zooms)