Subject: [Leica] RE:Oh ... It's COMING SOON! :-)
From: "Felix Lopez de Maturana" <fmaturana@euskalnet.net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 21:54:48 +0200

>The business issues were not what was being disputed.  The claim was
that >the camera was somehow no good, and that is just not the case.
Discussing >the business issues is, well, a tangent to the actual
discussion.

>Regards,

>Austin

Of course, Austin, but if you are embarking in a big investment camera
system perhaps it would be a great idea wondering about his manufacturer
viability, and, IMHO, Kyocera is going to allow Contax go slowly to
death much in benefit of his ceramic industries. So, after the
commercial disaster of the ND and the poor sales figures of the N system
I should rather direct my purchasing anxieties in other way.

I've read that Tina, good photographer and clever woman, is going to
invest in an EOS 1Ds! She's quite right! I've not yet tested this camera
with my R lenses, with an adapter, but it could be the best of two
worlds, specially the 21-35 Vario Elmar truly better than Canon 16-35 L
(which by the way bearing in mind his extreme range is not that bad)
Unless you are a sport photographer when you had then to shoot with the
EOS 1D (A true thunder)

I strongly recommend to all of you that can read French the last issue
of Chasseur d'Images where there are figures of 35mm SLR cameras sold in
France. It`s easy make a world extrapolation. Leica has sold 120 R8 in a
year and more than 300 Leica Ms. All Contax models included make not
more than 500 cameras in a year. With these quantities how can they make
a big and necessary R&D investment for the future?

So I believe that it is necessary not only to produce a good camera,
wich Contax ND is, but selling it in convenient amounts just for getting
enough monetary input that guarantee the future of the firm.

Kind regards

Felix

PS Please forgive once more my poor English.