Subject: [Leica] I'll take an R digital - Any Digital, but...
From: Edward Caliguri <caliguri@rcn.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 11:49:19 -0400

Yeah -
 I think many of you have very great ideas and suggestions - I have a lot of
Leica Glass - R and M - in R 15 mm SA to The Modular System. And I love it,
like all of you as well. I carry a Nikon D1X system for digital -- but
wouldn't it be nice to see a digital effort? Yup - the best glass in the
world (anyone's) may not be up to par with the current state of digital
affairs, but it will be soon. "special Digi Lenses" are great - but as shown
by Nikon and Canon, great Film Glass makes great images on anything - solid
state, film , the wall -- anything. I'd welcome a 1.3x size - like the Canon
D - it's a small boost in focal length, but to squeeze 10 Megapixels into
that space may even give a bigger file size (?) than the Canon 1Ds. I REALLY
want to keep lens mount compatibility. Maybe the 'back' thing will work out,
if rumors (and I am hearing plenty from different people, pretty much the
same - and I still don't know how the wind lever will fit in :-) ) but if
they ARE somehow true, it's a great start honestly, and will add  lot of
versatility to an existing system - and make a lot of people happy in the
meantime. Long run wise, it might just prove to be the best and cheaper
route to 'replace' outdated backs, or even modify them with new components.
Who knows?
Ed