Subject: [Leica] 90 Summicron-M, version 2 or 3?
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 16:08:42 -0700 (PDT)

I am trying out a 90 Summicron-M.  But I'm having trouble identifying it.

The lens fits Stephen Gandy's (www.cameraquest.com) description of the
first run of the 5-element version that was produced from 1980-82.

- - The front ring is marked Summicron-M.
- - The lens hood obscures the aperture dial when retracted.
- - It is marked "90" on the barrel.
- - It's smaller and lighter than the old 680-gram Summicron.
- - No tripod socket or removable lens head.

BUT:
- - It takes 49mm filters rather than 55mm.
- - The focus ring is a little further up the barrel than the E55 version's.
- - The serial number is on the underside of the aperture ring.
- - The serial number is 2,814,3xx.

I believe that serial number is from 1977, And both Stephen Gandy's site
and Erwin's book says that the 5-element version started in 1980 with
serial numbers a bit over 3,000,000.

I'm confused.  Is this lens the 6-element 90 Summicron (Generation II) or
the 5-element Summicron-M (Generation III)?  I'm a shooter, not a
collector, so I don't have copies of Lager, Sartorius and Nostradamus on
hand :-)

I've read that the later version is supposed to be a bit better wide open.
Can anybody tell me more about this particular variety of 90 Summicron?
Has anyone compared its performance to other 90 Summicrons?

Thanks,
- --Peter

Replies: Reply from "Phil Leeson" <pjleeson@mchsi.com> (Re: [Leica] 90 Summicron-M, version 2 or 3?)