Subject: [Leica] Fresnel Placement -- OVER the GG is best
From: Edward Caliguri <caliguri@rcn.com>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 13:40:41 -0400

Hi!
    seems everyone is right here -- but I use mine OVER the GG, not in the
camera. Made by Wisner -- I THINK you can get one from him that will fit
most cameras, or do this to your own -- but it has a 'little' pull handle on
the bottom so I can compose with it (don't forget -- the Fresnel Circles
face the lens!), then easily pull it away to focus on a better plane, the
ground glass. And, yes, even on the cut out corners of the GG I have THIN
piano wire cross hairs that help focus on the airiel (Spelling??) image -
which is very cool to see with a good loupe. The Fresnel helps with wide 9as
mentioned) lenses as well as slower lenses that cover a good area. The
Schneider G-Claron lenses are a great example of the latter. They are now
discontinued I think, but despite Schneider's rec., they work fantastic as
all around - even to infinity! - especially with B/W and a light yellow
filter to avoid any secondary spectrum effects they 'claim' exist. But my
color large format work (I've loaned my over 300mm G- Claron to 11 x 14
color photographers!) with superb results. But now we are way OT!! :-)
Ed

Replies: Reply from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] Fresnel Placement -- OVER the GG is best)