Subject: [Leica] Re: True Confession
From: David Young <dnr@horizon.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 08:39:26 -0700

At 5/12/2003, you wrote:

>David
>
>Do you mean to say that there is no protection for the terminals
>on the bottom plate?  The manual for the motor says to remove
>the protective plastic from the bottom.
>
>I have the instruction book for the camera as well as the boxes,
>strap, hand grip usw.

Jerry:

The plastic cover that Doug, Seth and others (as well as the book) talk
about is a thin clear plastic cover that is intended to protect the bottom
plate from scratches during handling within the factory and while the
camera is on display in a store.  That way, it arrives in your hands in
absolutely pristine condition.

It is not intended for daily use - though I've seen it done!

It must be removed, because it does not (usually) have cutouts for the
contacts - and even if it does, its thickness may often cause contact problems.

I've owned the R5, R6 & R8 and used them for years, without the plastic
covers and with no detrimental effects to the contacts nor operation.  Do
not cover the contacts with tape... the glue can cause electrical contact
problems when you re-install the motor.

Enjoy your new toys and don't worry about it!  :)

Cheers!

David Young       | A man who gives in when wrong - is wise.
Victoria, CANADA. | A man who gives in when right - is married.

Website at:  http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/