Subject: Re: [Leica] A break for lunch
From: "GeeBee" <graham@geebeespaw.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 09:17:18 +0100

From: "Jeffery L. Smith" <jsmith@dcc.edu>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: 11 May 2003 00:02

> Sonny called and told me about this shot. He also advised me to shoot the
> Panasonic in manual focus mode, as the field depth is enormous. Your shot
> here is certainly a good indicator of that. Too cool.
>
> Jeff
>

> At 07:46 PM 5/10/2003 +0100, you wrote:
> >http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/digi02.html
> >
> >--Graham
Jeffery,
I had discussed depth of field with Sonny Carter and he told me that if I
focussed on something about 10 feet into the shot everything else would be
sharp because the depth of field is "immense". I shot the pic in autofocus,
locked onto a mid tone point 10 feet in ( I was in spot exposure mode)  and
then reframed. If Sonny ever decides to back date me on consultancy fees I
will have to sell the Leica.

I actually took the shot with Sonny Carter and the guys on IRC in mind. It
occurred to me that by the miracle of digital photography and the internet I
could show them all where I had sat for lunch and have the picture on screen
in Natchitoches, Terra Bella and Corpus Christi within minutes of getting
home. I know I sound like a hick but this technology impresses the hell out
of me.

I was too lazy to stand up for the shot and was stuck for some foreground so
I improvised :-) I know to my cost that humour doesn't always translate via
web postings but it  makes me smile every time I look at it so I decided to
give it a wider audience than the clientele in the virtual pub on IRC.
Thanks for looking.

- --Graham