Subject: [Leica] Rewind handle and take-up spool + 2 more pics.
From: Rob Heyman <rheyman@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 17:44:56 +1000

I returned to a particular beach last week to photograph a family. I
have used this area before, but it is different every time.  The day was
perfect for portraits and the results are at:
http://www.leica-gallery.net/heymanphoto/folder-4608.html

I have borrowed an M6 from a friend for a week or two while I send mine
off to be serviced next week, but it caused me some real anxiety last
Saturday. I was photographing a wedding with both cameras hanging around
my neck. My M6 with the short strap had the 35mm lens and his had the
50mm with the long strap. Both with the same film type, NPH. I had
almost finished a roll on his camera when I noticed that the rewind
handle did not move when I wound the film on! Damn! Not loaded properly!
I was about to open the camera when I thought I had better check first.
When I wound the handle it stopped, so the leader must be attached to
the take-up spool. While watching the handle I fired off a shot and
wound on again....AND THE HANDLE MOVED!. Joy of joys! It appears that
his camera allows the film to unwind quite a bit in the cannister and
when I wound on the next time, the handle did not need to move to give
me a full frame. His camera winds on much more easily than mine and that
is what initially alerted me to a potential problem. I thought it felt
too loose to be winding film. Unfounded as it turns out, but worrisome
at the time. In comparison mine is quite tight, especially when
rewinding. As rewinding is almost complete, I quite often lose grip
because of this tension. This is the only time I have used another M6
and as such this is the only time I have been able to make a comparison.
Which is correct, quite loose or reasonably tight? Should the rewind
handle spin quite freely during film advance or should there be just
enough tension to allow only a frame to unroll from the spool without
"running on" a bit like a roll of toilet paper?
And how do I verbalise what is little or a lot?
Rob
- --
Rob Heyman Photography
32 Binyara Street