Subject: Re: [Leica] PWIFLI: Music of Remembrance
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 11:49:57 +0200

Very nice pictures, probably much better than the 'official' ones

>  borrowed 90/2 APO AA Summicron, mostly at wide open at 1/125.  An
>incredible lens, reminds me of the 50 Summicron, with twice the
>magnification. You can tell when it's wide-open, but the loss of
>quality is slight rather than obvious.  One weird thing, though--it
>seems to have narrower depth of field than a spherical 90.  I think
>this is because the focus has a sharp peak rather than a broader
>"hump," so a person only a foot or two closer or farther than the
>point of focus looks more out of focus than with a
>traditional-design lens.

Interesting. That was probably the reason why I got rid of mine, I
just did not know until I read this. For portraits I much preferred
my old Tele-Elmarit,  unfortunately I used it as a trade-in for the
APO_Asph. For close-ups, the d.o.f. for this focal length is so
limited that one needs to stop down to 5.6 anyway and then there is
not much point in having the APO_Asph. I found the APO_Asph too large
for close-ups of people it really intruded (for lack of a better
English word) on them. I was not comfortable with the lens, so how
could the subject be?

Chris
- --
Christer Almqvist
D 20255 Hamburg and / or
F 50590 Regnéville sur Mer

my home page is under re-construction and far from ready, but if you
are  curious...

http://www.chris.almqvist.net