Subject: Re: [Leica] Darkroom
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 16:41:29 -0700

Slobodan Dimitrov wrote:

> Today, in Terry's camera, a Rollei and Leica dealer, there will soon no
> longer be a darkroom section.
> The owner can no longer justify the space being used by items that are
> no longer moving. He'll carry paper and some chemistry as a concession
> for the older customer, but that's about all.
> Give it another year or two, and the same will happen with the major stores.
> Slobodan Dimitrov
> --

I think it's BS the Darkroom items no longer moving.
I think Terry himself is having loads of fun with the digital himself it
moves fast and the industry as well as his store is aligned to this
exciting new development.

But i don't think the darkroom stuff also lost any marketability.
Its less fun to sell.

The sales guys would rather be at their monitors playing with Photoshop
then selling mid 50's Schneider enlarger lenses.
I think the digital revolution will prove to be a boom for all
photography. Digital and darkroom.

With all these people becoming prolific desktop printers its only
natural a percentage of the wanting to know what real darkroom printing
is like. Others may want to Platinum print on a sunny day like today.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com