Subject: [Leica] 35 Lux ASPH
From: Thomas Pastorello <etruscello@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 06:52:43 -0700 (PDT)

   Thank you, John, for the information about the 35
Lux ASPH's freedom from flare.  My ASPH experience is
limited to the 24 and the Tri-Elmar which are flare
prone.  You and others seem to indicate that the flare
problem is limited to the 24 and the Tri-Elmar.  I
would pick the wrong two!  I'm glad to no longer have
to assume that all ASPH lenses have a flare problem.

   The bokeh problem remains an issue for me.  In his
review of the Summicron-M 1:2/28mm ASPH, Puts
indicates: "...really out-of-focus areas show the
tendency to break up details in coarse and fuzzy
patches.  There is a certain harshness in the out of
focus rendition that is typical of modern Leica
lenses."  I use fast Leica M lenses because I must
often shoot wide open and relatively close up.  Both
factors limited DOF and cause the out-of-focus portion
of the image to be a integral part of the total
composition.  Hence, I'm still reluctant to use ASPH.
My concerns should not apply to those who do
landscapes or large group shots, etc.  Thanks to all
for the feedback.     Tom