Subject: [Leica] OT - National Geographic film usage
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 22:54:12 -0400

When I worked for Nat Geo as an assistant, the photogs shot up to 700 rolls on a 4
month assignment (there were, in fact, no limits on film) -- I understand there have
been some cutbacks on time/film since.
But the standards of results expected are very high -- every frame is reviewed by
someone in Washington before the photog sees them himself, and he/she (the shooter)
is expected to select best shots for several slide shows for editors along the way --
about 80 shots 2-4 times during the story assignment. I suspect few of us here could
withstand this kind of scrutiny or deliver this kind of quality (I can't), even if a
published story finally includes just 10-20 images.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal