Subject: RE: [Leica] Sales Tax
From: "WOC" <woc2@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 07:45:09 -0400

Frank,
  The taxes here are confusing with out a doubt and since they can be
imposed at every level from the federal level down to the local level you
never know what to expect when you go to a strange area.  The fact that
different items are taxed differently does not help, for instance,
'required' clothing is not taxed in PA but 'non essential' clothing is.  The
one consistent thing as you noted is tax is most always added at point of
sale, which can be a shock to a person from Delaware that has no tax being
in New York City and buying a piece of Leica gear and having 8+ percent
added to the total.  All this gets more interesting when you consider some
200 years ago a bunch of folks dumped tea in the Boston harbor to complain
about taxes.....
Bill