Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 15 and 16: Netherlands
From: "Nathan Wajsman (private)" <nathanw@bluewin.ch>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 07:41:00 +0200

These days I am living a somewhat nomadic existence between Zurich and
Amsterdam, and so you will notice that my postings may be slightly
delayed, as is the case with these two weeks, that there are more
pictures from the Netherlands than from Switzerland, and that there are
more pictures taken with the Leica CL, since I often need to travel
light. With that...

The most important thing about a new place are the people. We are
fortunate in having good friends in the Netherlands, who have been of
enormous help to us during this transition, Bert and his partner Themmy.
We got together with them in Week 15, during our househunting in the
Netherlands. Here is Themmy in a bar in Amersfoort. Pictures like this
have convinced me that at least with the f2 lenses, the short
rangefinder base of the CL is of no concern:

http://www.wajsman.com/2003_15.jpg
(Leica CL, 40mm Rokkor, Neopan 1600)

Here is Bert during a conversation in his backyard:
http://www.wajsman.com/2003_15alt1.jpg
(Leica M6, 35mm Summilux, Fuji Acros)

And Themmy and my wife reviewing house brochures after a long day of
househunting:
http://www.wajsman.com/2003_15alt2.jpg
(same as alt1)

When I tell a Dutch person that I am moving from Switzerland to the
Netherlands, they often tell me jokingly, "You do realise that we have
no mountains up here?" And right they are, as the Week 16 pictures show.
The first is taken near the place where we are going to live, Almere.
Just a flat landscape only punctuated by a canal and a line of trees:
http://www.wajsman.com/2003_16.jpg
(Leica M6, 50mm Summilux, Fuji Acros)

This is the flower season in the Netherlands. The first alternate was
taken near Lisse, where the famous flower park Keukenhof is located:
http://www.wajsman.com/2003_16alt1.jpg
(Leica CL, 40mm Rokkor, Fuji Provia 100F)

The Netherlands may not have mountains, but it does have beaches (and
sometimes the water is even warm enough to swim in it...). One of the
most popular seaside resorts is Noordwijk:
http://www.wajsman.com/2003_16alt2.jpg
(Leica CL, 40mm Rokkor, Fuji Provia 100F)

The complete PAW index is at:
http://www.wajsman.com/indexpaw2003.htm
and comments and critique are always welcome and appreciated.

Nathan
- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland