Subject: RE: [Leica] New TriX
From: Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:55:19 -0600

> Well, the grain is part of the "charm" of the old Tri-X, but this is
> indeed pretty stuff...:-)

There was a review/test of the "new" films in Photo Techniques by the
ex-Kodak tech developers who produced Xtol.

I'll have to dig it out, but one of the most interesting things they said
was how Tri-X had been "improved" in terms of grain, while T-Max (400?) had
actually got worse.

They also said they couldn't see much difference between old and new in
developing times and couldn't work out where Kodak were getting some of
their wilder times from. I think their suggestion was to start with what you
use now and take it from there.

Worth reading - I think it was the last issue that's just gone off the
newsstands

tim